Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Harpswell Foundation- "Where Elephants Weep"





As I mentioned previously, one of the things that struck me the most when I visited Cambodia was the extent to which Pol Pot tried to eradicate culture. While my experience confirms that culture is still alive in Cambodia, I was very excited to find Cambodian Living Arts, an NGO that actively promotes a fusion between Khmer traditional arts and contemporary culture.

Their most ambitious -and I think more exciting- project is "Where Elephants Weep," a Cambodian Rock Opera which was previewed in Lowell Massachusetts (very close to my university!!!), and will have its world premiere on November 28 in Phnom Pehn! The show tells the love story between a Cambodian-American refugee and a beautiful Cambodian pop-star by mixing traditional Cambodian music with Western rock and rap.

I have attached some pictures, but I also invite you to copy the following URL address to your browser window so you can see a video about the show. Enjoy!!

http://www.whereelephantsweep.net/inner/docs/promo-movie.mov

No comments: